Wednesday 1 February 2017

Book: The Book of Joy, Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams



In my mission to complete #40for40 things this year, I broke it down into different categories; ten activities I've never done, ten places I've never been to; ten people to meet and ten books to read. I put a call out on Facebook for suggestions, recommendations and challenges. Someone said that I should meet the Dalai Lama [why not!]. My lovely neighbour, Shona,  then suggested meeting Archbishop Desmond Tutu (that would be incredible!). Then the next thing I knew, Tim and Shona (said lovely neighbours) brought over "The Book of Joy", recently co authored by both the Dalai Lama and the Archbishop! 

What a wonderful read; I have such deep respect for both of these leaders and their worldviews. The book is written in such a way that you it feels as if you form part of the conversation. [I love the fact that it was authored and put together by someone from the Jewish faith.] 

The crux of joy, which is a lot more than happiness, is about helping each other, being compassionate, education and laughing more, even (especially) if it is at ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment